Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring Flowers and Grapevine Times Two - Wreath and Wreath Card

Are you ready for spring?  In my part of the world, spring hasn't fully arrived and, so, I'm missing the spring flowers that have yet to bloom.  What's a paper crafter to do when feeling melancholy over the lack of flowers - why, create her own of course.  First the wreath:

For this wreath, I used several layers (well about 18) of the  six-petal (heart-shaped) flower cut from Cricut's Flower Shoppe cartridge.  For the center flower, the largest (bottom) layer was cut at 5 inches and the smallest (top) at 1 inch and the layers in between getting progressively smaller from bottom to top.  I dipped each layer in water (try not to get them too wet), crumpled the wet paper into a wad, uncrumpled them while still damp and then stacked them using a brad to hold the layers together. 




After shaping the centers to hide the brad, I let the flowers dry overnight and then used a dry brush and Inka Gold Metallic Rub to gild the edges of the petals .  

Next the card:



For the flowers on the card, I used a rolled flower from the Close to My Heart Artiste Cricut cartridge cut at 0.9 inches.  Using a quilling tool with  the outer end of the paper inserted into the eye hole, I tightly rolled up the cut until I  reached the center of the flower. Next, I pulled out the quilling tool to release the paper, added quick dry glue to the end piece of the cut that is the bottom of the flower and hold it until the glue dries.



Both these project were created as "sample" inspirations for a challenge I'm leading for the Circleville National Scrapbooking Weekend on the Cricut Circle Message Board. 

Supplies Used - Wreath
Cricut Expression  2 & Cricut CraftRoom Application
Cricut  Flower Shoppe Cartridge (Flowers )
Cricut ZooBalloo Cartridge (Welcome) 
Grapevine Wreath
Dollar Store Pick (taken apart for the plastic leaves)  
Posterboard
Inka Gold Metallic Rub
Brads
Hot Glue Gun and Glue

Supplies Used - Card
Cricut Expression  2 & Cricut CraftRoom Application
Cricut  Close to My Heart - Artiste  Cartridge (Flower)
Cricut  Close to My Heart - Art Philosophy Cartridge (Leaves)
Cuttlebug Machine
Cuttlebug Anna Giffrin Poppy Embossing Folder
Cuttlebug Coolio Companion Embossing Folder
Memory Box Grapevine Wreath Die
Spellbinders Page Maps  Die - Tags & Flags
Stampin' Up Teen Tiny Wishes Stamp (sentiment)
Stampin' Up Word Window Punch
Martha Stewart Edge Punch  (Double Loops)
Recollections Card Base 
Recollections Glimmer Cardstock
Recollections Cardstock
Momento Dye Ink (Angel Pink) for Edges
Craft Smart Embossing Pad
Zing Embossing Powder (Neon Pink)
Dollar Store Pearl Stickers
Self-adhesive foam mounts
Glue

6 comments:

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) said...

I love this!! The card and wreath are a perfect combination!!! Stunning flowers!! Love those teeny roses too!

Diane said...

Your flowers are stunning! I am going to create these for sure! The teeny tiny flowers on your card are so exquisite...

Lady, you never ever stop amazing me!

Di&Co.

Threadbear said...

Wow -- I love both projects, especially how you carried the wreath theme onto the card -- both are just beautiful!! And your flowers are gorgeous!!

Cocoa's Mom said...

Gorgeous projects, Susan! And thank you for supplying the details. You've inspired me to try the teeny, tiny roses! : ) Christine

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I love both of your projects and how they coordinate so well together!

Life and Knits said...

Awesome projects! Perfect little flowers.

Susie