Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Monochromatic Cupcake Birthday Card

The third challenge for the Cricut Circle’s Canadian Online Swarm is to create a birthday card using a least one Cricut cut, a Cuttlebug folder and the following sketch:

For this challenge, I wanted to challenge myself with a monochromatic palette that focuses on pattern/texture rather than colour.  Here’s my 5”X5” card entry:
On the card is my attempt at making a more realistic looking cupcake than I have in the past.  The cupcake itself was cut at 3” while the corresponding wrapper was stretched wider using Cricut CraftRoom (the original dimensions of the wrapper before stretching were 2.694 by 1.611 and after stretching the dimensions were 3 by 1.611), so that the wrapper would be the right width after running it through a paper crimper. The icing cut on the cupcake was painted with puffy paint that was heated to activate the puffing.  Once dry, I covered it with Glossy Accents and then sprinkled glittered on it.
Supplies Used:
Cricut Expression & Cricut CraftRoom Application
Cricut Artiste Cartridge (cupcake)
Cricut Art Philosophy Cartridge (square with rounded corners)
Cricut Tags, Bags, Boxes & More Cartridge (tag)
Fiskars Paper Crimper
Martha Stewart Scoring Pad
Cuttlebug Moroccan Screen Embossing Folder
Sizzix Three Dots.Embossing Folder
Zig Opaque Writer (doodling on balloon and letters)
Inkssentials Glossy Accents
Tulip White Puffy 3D Fashion Paint
Chunky Glitter
Cardstock from my stash
Memento Ink – London Fog (inking cuts)
Studio G “Happy Birthday” Stamp
Craftsmart Embossing Pad
Stampendous Embossing Powder (Silver)
Lace
Ribbon

While there is a lot of sparkle on this card both with the glitter, lace and silver paper, I think the monochromatic tone make this card suitable for a man as well as a woman.  I’d love to hear if you agree.

4 comments:

Life and Knits said...

Really cute and elegant! Lots of details! I like it! Great colors too!!

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) said...

This is so elegant and beautiful! I love the sparkle and the papers you picked!

I think it could be for a man or woman. Absolutely lovely!

Missy said...

This is fabulous, I really like all the texture!!

cdm317 said...

This is stunning!